Skip to main content

Photography 2: P5

 







This photo essay is called Under the 2nd Street Bridge. The images are centered around high school and college students at one location: underneath the 2nd Street Bridge. What was at first a synthesized approach to street photography soon became a study of how different individuals can interact with a particular space. How this interaction impacted the way the images turned out was also explored. I chose the 2nd Street Bridge as my background because it is a visually interesting location. It is neutral, but also has visual texture, and geometric patterns. This blend of elements creates a background that allows the subject to stand out from and complement the space. In the images you will see a wide array of outfit choices: neutrals, bold colors, and loud patterns; however, you will also see that they all work well with the background. By working in one location with different individuals I was able to experiment with how different outfits and posing choices can impact how my subject photographs under a unique set of conditions. It is impactful that all the images came out very different from one another although they were in the same space, that is important too because each individual is seen exactly the way they are: a unique individual. No set of photos came out overly similar, not even of the two twin girls I photographed. The distinctness of individuals is highly impactful in my creative process.  I am focused on creating images that authentically represent individuals as they are, and I believe that Under the 2nd Street Bridge allowed me to explore this further. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photography IV: Photo Challenge - Week 42: Fashion

 

Photography IV: P4

 

about the photographer

My name is Lily Tobin and I was born and raised in Aberdeen, South Dakota. I am currently attending Northern State University and pursuing a degree in Digital Media with an emphasis in Graphic Design and a certificate in Arts Management. My childhood ambition was to be just like my mom when I got older. My mom is a painter and always encouraged creativity when I was a kid, which allowed me to believe that a career in the arts was obtainable. I have always had a passion for photography, and I love having the opportunity to collect beautiful moments for others. I am inspired by true colors, those that I love, and capturing people’s authentic selves. My fondest memories are days where I said yes to last minute plans and had a camera in my hand. A quote that I live by is that you’re always one decision away from an entirely different life. I use this to remind myself that my life is only just beginning, and that I should be excited for the adventures that are ahead.